Friday, July 15, 2011

Oklahoma City - Bombing Memorial

I spent the day in Oklahoma City, OK. I wanted to see the bombing memorial and check out the town.

The Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial was emotional to say the least. I was alive when it happened but to see the damage up close was intense.
First I walked the wall that was damaged in the blast, the journal and records building

A rescue worker painted this message on the wall during the rescue/relief efforts

Children around the country sent in tiles representing those who are praying and those children that lost their lives (19 total)


People still leave various items on the fence outside the memorial for the victims of the bombing

The reflection pond
 The Valley of Empty Chairs represents those who died in the attack. The smaller chairs the 19 children that died. Reported some of the children were as young as 3 months. There were 3 pregnant women who died.
 The side of the Journal/Records building, now part of it is the memorial museum, the blast blew out all the windows and collapsed walls. This building is directly across 5th street from the Alfred P. Murrah building.
 The remaining walls of the Alfred P. Murrah building

 The gate to the memorial, very hard to see, but it says 9:01
 This side says 9:03, the bomb went off at 9:02, the stated times represent the moment the bomb went off.

The Survivor Tree, this tree was right in the center of the blast, but still remains.
 A different view of the Reflection pond. This pond is where 5th street used to be before the explosion
The phrase on the outside of the memorial
After the memorial, I decided to troll around the famous Bricktown in downtown Oklahoma. Here are some photos of what I did...
Tapwerks beer bar
Bricktown Brewery...
They make 6 of their own beers
 The beer I sampled, just an unfiltered pale ale
 A difficult photo to see, but this is a picture of the menu, and yes those are the words to "Friday" a song made popular by our favorite Rebecca Black! And a helpful tool for patrons that forgot what day comes after Thursday
 I had the waitress take a picture of me with the beers in the background.
Downtown Oklahoma


 Surprisingly, Oklahoma has a ferry system, a boat will pick you up around here and then take you all over the downtown area, I did not participate because I wanted so much needed exercise!
The frozen yogurt shop I had to try
 Just a little bit with fresh fruit and some naughty cheesecake bites!! Yum, the perfect treat for the 110 degree day!
 The Candy Company
 Treats! and NO I did not eat all of this right away, I still have some!!
That was my time in Oklahoma City, when I asked the waitress what I should see, she said the memorial. I told her I already did that, and she said "well that's about it!" I am still not sure what anyone visited Oklahoma City for prior to the bombing, but it was fun to explore!
Hitting the road again, not too much further from California!! Next up, New Mexico, see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment