Monday, July 11, 2011

Asheville, North Carolina

Boy, I am sure you all are sick of seeing landscape photos, but look at those mountains!!!
Asheville is known for a few things that I was unaware of...It is home to the largest mansion in this country, the Biltmore Estate. It is also a very artsy community, with quite a few claims to fame in the country music world! And, Chimney Rock is a famous spot in the mountains for its own history and for being a setting in the movie The Last of the Mohicans, but we will get to that part a little later...
My first day in Asheville I explored the downtown arts community and let me tell you that was an experience! There is quite a few unique shops that cater to a more organic population.

There are several interesting buildings, structures, and streets in downtown Asheville...
 This was an interesting sculpture outside a business center...
 A very old church...

 As I walked "Wall Street" I came across these metal cat statues, they named the sidewalk "The Cat Walk" to represent the early construction of the street and the local shops surrounding it...

 This is a mural I could see from overlooking the "wall" on wall street.
 Outside the Grove shopping center, built inside an old government building
And how fun was it to come across the Asheville location of Three Dog Bakery...that made me miss work and my customers!!
My host and hostess are excellent cooks, and they prepared the most delicious fish and steamed broccoli I have ever had!! It was so delicious and all but the fish came straight from their garden!
So yummy and so healthy, I am trying not to gain a hundred pounds on my road trip, and with this meal it is easy not too!!!

Saturday was spent at Chimney Rock. There is usually an elevator that takes you up to the 2200 ft elevation, but unfortunately for us, it was under construction. So we took this bus up to the bottom of the steps...
Then it was a hike up to the actual steps.

On the way we stopped to hear the local musician

We had to climb 479 steps to get to the top. About half way there is a lookout called Vista Rock, this overlooks the mountains, but isn't as high as Chimney.
 The lake you see above is Lake Lure. Fun Fact alert: The setting for the very popular (and my favorite) movie, Dirty Dancing!!

Finally we made it up all 479 steps to the Chimney Rock and it was incredible!







Me at the top in front of the mountains and Lake Lure...
The Opera Box
We weren't 100% sure where the movie The Last of the Mohicans was shot, but we think perhaps above the Opera Box, on the ledge...Have to watch the movie to cross reference

Moonshiners Cave
 It was very dark, but it went on forever, and we could only go about 20 ft in...
Next up was a drink at the Tiki Bar on the river (shout out to mumsey)
The view from the Tiki Bar....where the tiny flag can be seen is where we hiked...
Yummy fries at the Tiki Bar (yeah, so sometimes I splurge and eat the unhealthy stuff!)
While we ate fries and drank beers, a little turtle family climbed up on this huge rock in the river
Saturday night was KARAOKE!!! My hostess has a whole karaoke set up in her basement and holy crap did we rock that thing until the morn'
Me singing my little heart out! Have to practice for the big leagues...
Sunday was spent at my hostess' friend's pool...we lazed about having fresh fruit and floating in the salt water...
Had to get a shot of me at the pool with the mountains in the back...
The owners of the mentioned pool has this super cool plant, a fly trap
When we got back, what I thought was a blade of grass was actually a praying mantis...yes they have all sorts of creepy bugs here!
This weekend (while I was here) Asheville was having their annual Ribfest. Instead of going and spending money on Ribfest (not cheap) we went to the neighbors house of the Cooper Ribfest and talk about falling off the bone. The best ribs "this side of China"

The Coopers are definitely southern, and "down home" but they are awesome people and they took great care of me! After Ribfest and a glass of wine, the Coopers sent me away with fresh peaches, peppers, and apples for my trip, along with a "ya'll come back now, ya here!" Best night EVER!!

My visit to Asheville is concluding today (Monday). I am headed to Nashville and Memphis. Camping out in Memphis...Its tough to leave a nice, cozy bed and good cooking, but its time for me to start moving...stay tuned for move landscape photos...you know you love them!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant photography, Bugsy!!! I loved the pictures of the vista up on Chimney rock! Of course, I was unable to go up there myself.......only because I HATE HEIGHTS :o.....so it is really nice to see how it looks from up there. Gorgeous!
    I'm so glad that you had a good time, good food and good rest while you were in Asheville. Happy, safe trails, Bugs!!

    ReplyDelete