Saturday, October 22, 2011

Learning to say "no"

What. A. Week.
Time flies when we are having fun, driving fast, and taking chances!!
But for me, this week I didn't drive fast and I didn't really take any chances. I was pretty normal. As normal as I can be.

This morning I started with my favorite breakfast, a Kashi 7-grain waffle with almond butter, strawberry jam, and half a banana and of course, a round of fat-burning yoga with Miss Sara I.


Afterwards I had a yummy snack of  Oikos greek yogurt with fresh berries and Cascadian granola.

I have been doing plenty of thinking this week, especially during my yoga sessions (I am in love!). To my surprise it was very successful thinking and planning! Yoga just opens me right up!

I recently read an article about Minnesotans and the part that resonated the most with me was the part about declining an invitation, food, or really any offering. It says that Minnesotans can never say "no" to something, we always have to make up some sort of excuse for why we aren't able to attend your party, or go out with a guy, or eat a particular thing. And this is so true!! Why do we feel the need to justify everything? If I don't want to do something, why shouldn't I just say "NO"

This is my new thing and so far its failing miserably! From the picture above you can see I have been hard at work making pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting. I did not say "no."


But in other aspects of my life, I have every right to say "no" if I don't want to do something, right?
If I don't want to go on a date, I can say no without an excuse other than I don't want to, instead of avoiding phone calls or making up excuses. If I don't want to go to a friends party to drink, I can say no without making up some excuse like I have to wash my hair (wha?)! Yes, it has been used before! eek

So anyways, the moral of the story is if I don't want to do something, I am not going to do it and I am not going to make up an excuse.
I feel good about this new outlook on life, now if only I could find a way to say no to sweets!! Eek!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment