Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cambridge to Youngstown and everything in between

So today was my first day on the road...It was SUCCESSFUL!!
I left at 4am as planned. Ok that is a lie, I left at 4:20am-ish. But to be fair, from the time I woke up at 3:30am, I was a busy bee getting my stuff together and saying my goodbyes to the remaining family members that reside in Mumsey's house.
Here I am leaving the home front, yes its dark, and yes I am still half asleep. This was prior to my morning coffee chugging competition. I won. Eventually.
I made it through the Twin Cities and Eau Claire with little to no issues and hardly any traffic. Let me hear you say "yeah!"
The fun part was Chicago. Good thing I had to get cash a few days ago otherwise I would have been one screwed country-wide traveler. All the different highways have a cost, one that sucked me dry until I got south and a little east of the Chi town. Oh wait, not 5 minutes later the "Indiana Toll Road" kicks in. The joy of toll-less roads was short lived. The one exciting part of Indiana was the visitor's center, it had a recycled clothing museum right there. FREE OF CHARGE. Sign me up! I am all about deals on this trip.

It was pretty cool. Probably the coolest thing in Indiana, other than paying an arm AND a leg just to drive on their precious roads!
And just when I think (again) I am free and out of the "toll-zone" enter Ohio. But this toll road has a fun name "The Ohio Turn Pike." That totally makes up for the $13.50 it cost.
Overall today was a great day and I got to see some beautiful scenery:

And experience some alone time on the open (expensive) road. Knocked out 850+ miles today, only 350 to go until Philly (Motown Phillys back again...thanks Mel). Now for a good night sleep so I can report more on my journey through Pennsylvania!!

No comments:

Post a Comment